Monday, November 14, 2011

Running For... [My New Year's Commitment]

Pin It
I listed this New Year's Commitment on my Holiday Planning/To-Do List last week.  Now it's time for me to tell you all about it!  


I know what you're thinking... Whoa advance planning! But kind of, sort of, not really... here's the deal:


I've been so busy that I keep making excuses as to why I'm not working out regularly.  A few weeks ago I thought that I could really use some kind of motivation for working out, you know, since being healthy, fit, and in shape aren't motivators *wink*.  Then, one day after work, my hubs comes home and says:


  "Let's run a Marathon." {cricket, cricket}


Okay, hunny, let's not get carried away with ourselves... how 'bout a half-marathon?  Another week went by and I knew that if we really were going to run a half-marathon that we needed to plan and prepare.  It's easy to say you're going to do something, but with something as big as running a 13.1 mile race (though we wouldn't be racing) planning and prep is everything.


Enter: My New Year's Commitment


First thing I did was hit up Google for schedules of Half-Marathons in our area along with training plans.  I found the Flying Pirate Half Marathon which is April 15, 2012.  I figure that's enough time for us to prepare since most training plans are 12-14weeks and I'm starting early... right? Right.


I went out and bought new running sneaks

And, I downloaded this free iPhone app called LogYourRun:


This app is pretty awesome b/c it uses my phone's pedometer along with GPS to track my pace, time, and route; I can save my info and track my progress.  It also allows me to build a playlist, or select an existing one, within the app... way cool.  Then, I can tweet or facebook my info, so if you follow me on Twitter (which you should *wink* @TheSoChickChick) that's what those little updates are!


Of course just entering a race isn't enough motivation for me... so to up the ante and raise the stakes, I presented my husband with a challenge:


   When we  complete our first half-marathon (not win, since we are not racing, this is merely a personal challenge for us and we're first-timers) we will treat ourselves to a Viva Las Vegas weekend! 


I know you are loving my intentional puns in the previous sentence, right?!  This half-marathon may be a way to justify a trip to Vegas more than Vegas being the reward, but either way works for me!


I will update periodically with a blog post about our progress, but you can also track my progress via my Tweets!


I'm super excited about this challenge... what a great way to get fit together!


How do you set goals and reward yourself for fitness?  It doesn't have to be something as extreme as running a half-marathon, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.


Also, are you a runner with a toddler?  How do you manage fitting in a workout when your home with the little one during the day?  My youngest is 3 next week (Eeek!) and she is my biggest challenge as far as fitting in a run during the day... I'm dyin' to hear how other running Mom's do it!




XxOo~ Melissa


*P.S.- My opinions on the "Log Your Run" iPhone App are my own; I am not affiliated with them, I just really like the app!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment and let me know your thoughts, this chick LOVES hearing from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...